BASKETBALL FOR U18'S ALLOWED TO CONTINUE
In the latest round of developments in the ongoing battle against the corona virus, the Government have announced a new three-tier COVID-19 alert system which details what local authorities, public and private organisations, and every resident in England can and can't do during ongoing attempts to prevent the spread of the virus.
The tiered levels are aimed at limiting the level of physical interactions within local communities, but have not been clear cut in exactly how they will impact basketball's restart plans across the country. What is clear is the current 'Tier 2' classification has put an end to all adult league competitions and regular team training sessions for this season, as indoor sports for adults can only take place if it is with people from the same household.
As a provider of basketball coaching and competitions for thousands of players across the capital, the LSB have been swamped with enquiries about whether or not the new tiered system will mean another lockdown for youth basketball too. Thankfully, we can confirm that the hard work of the governing body in developing strong and robust guidelines for basketball's return to play has paid off for our sport as youth basketball (all categories under 18) will not be stopped from coaching and competitions in any setting, whether inside or out.
Individual or group/team sessions have all been given the green light to continue indoors, providing the sessions follow and adhere to the RTP Guidelines and the coaches and organising body ensure all activity is fully-compliant with all COVID-19 health & safety measures.
For all LSB associated sessions, these measures require the following:
- All participants in any coaching or competitive activity (players, coaches, officials and staff) must complete a LSB COVID-19 SCREENING QUESTIONNAIRE
- In the event the status of any participant changes from what has been declared in the screening questionnaire, parents are required to update their child's status using the LSB COVID-19 PARTICIPANT STATUS UPDATE
- All participants must be prepared to have their temperature checked outside the venue before being allowed to participate in any LSB session
- All participants are to sanitise hands before, during and after every session
- Coaches are to coach in close proximity with masks on to reduce the risk of aerosol transmission
- No use of changing rooms will be permitted at any of the venues (participants should come to the venue with playing kit on underneath a tracksuit, or similar, and get ready for play in the designated area on the side of the court)
- Balls are to be disinfected before and after every session
- No sharing of any water bottles is permitted and all participants should bring their own water to each session
- Only players and coaches and (in the event of competitions) officials will be permitted in the sports halls to keep capacity under 30 at all times
- Social distancing rules are to be followed at all all times other than when on court in a playing capacity
- No congregating before or after any sessions